Most-Read Feedback Articles (Last 365 Days)
- 2017-07-01 - The Luxman's League
- 2017-05-01 - A Paradigm Active/40 Owner on Active Speakers
- 2017-01-24 - Sonus Faber Olympica III vs. PSB Imagine T3
- 2017-04-15 - Here's What Happened to the Devialet Gold Phantom
- 2017-04-17 - MQA: Smoke and Mirrors?
- 2017-04-29 - Ayre's Laid-Back Sound
- 2017-04-23 - MQA: The Emperor's New Clothes?
- 2017-04-16 - KEF Praise, Devialet Question
- 2017-02-18 - Amp Choices for KEF Reference 1s
- 2017-03-10 - New Amp for Focal Sopra No2s -- Or Maybe Not
- Category: Reader Feedback Reader Feedback
- Created: 01 January 2018 01 January 2018
To Hans Wetzel,
Thank you for your superb and meaningful review of the Magico S1 Mk.II. It may be the best, most useful speaker review I have read in the past 50 years. One question if I may: Do you think my Naim NAC 552 [preamplifier] and Naim NAP 300 DR [amplifier] have enough power to drive these speakers? I rarely listen to anything other than classical, favoring chamber, baroque, and a lot of Mozart and Beethoven at relatively low volume. I live in an apartment and wish to be sensitive to the comfort of others. Thank you again for this meaningful review.
The short answer is yes. With a sensitivity of 83dB, the S1 requires more power than your average loudspeaker. Given that you generally listen at low volume, however, your Naim amp’s 90Wpc into 8 ohms should be more than enough for your needs. If you start listening at high volume with any regularity, I would definitely think about investing in a more powerful amplifier. . . . Hans Wetzel