Most-Read Feedback Articles (Last 365 Days)
- 2016-09-24 - Amphion's New 3LS Loudspeaker
- 2016-11-01 - Hegel H360 vs. Devialet 120 or 200?
- 2016-10-27 - Vivid Giya G3 vs. Vivid B1 Decade vs. KEF Blade Two
- 2017-01-15 - Luxman L-550AX -- the Little Amp that Probably Can
- 2016-10-26 - B&O BeoLab 90 Video and Review
- 2017-05-01 - A Paradigm Active/40 Owner on Active Speakers
- 2017-07-01 - The Luxman's League
- 2017-01-24 - Sonus Faber Olympica III vs. PSB Imagine T3
- 2017-04-15 - Here's What Happened to the Devialet Gold Phantom
- 2016-11-02 - Bryston Mini A and Mini T
- Category: Reader Feedback Reader Feedback
- Created: 03 June 2015 03 June 2015
To Hans Wetzel,
I'm very impressed by the Luxman L-550AX driving my Quad ESL-63s (sensitivity of 86dB). Before I purchased it, I tried Hegel Music Systems' H80 integrated amp-DAC, then the Luxman L-505uX (returned because hum noise has been heard in headphone section). I have also driven the Quads by the Adcom GFA-535, B&K ST-202, and even the Crown K1 and K2 amps.
I agree with [your L-550AX] review, this is the best integrated amp under $5000. So far I was unable to test the Luxman's phono section -- my Denon DP-67L turntable is still in for service. The headphone section is as impressive as [the] amp itself. And not to forget, before I pulled the trigger for Luxman's L-550AX, I asked a dealer in Toronto if the Hegel H300 would be the better choice for ESL-63 speakers. But he chose the L-550AX over the Hegel H300. Now I'm wondering how [Luxman's larger] L-590AX (30Wpc) will sound at almost double the price of L-550AX. MusicDirect has a 60-day Satisfaction Guarantee. This is the place where I purchased the L-550AX.
That's a tough one, Adam. I agree with your dealer that, in terms of pure sound quality, the Luxman sounds better than the Hegel. That's not a knock against the H300. After all, I do own one, adore it, and appreciate the fact that it can do a lot more than the Luxman for roughly the same price. If you love what the Luxman does with your Quads, however, I don't think the Hegel is really an option for you.
So that leaves the more powerful and twice-as-expensive L-590AX. Remember that a doubling in amplifier power -- say, from 20Wpc to 40Wpc -- only produces an extra 3dB of output. In this case, the potential jump from 20Wpc to 30Wpc will only yield you 1.5dB of additional headroom. If you feel that the L-550AX is straining to really drive your Quads, then maybe that's worth it to you. But if you're satisfied with the sound you're getting from your current setup, I would not worry about spending nearly $9500 to maybe do a little bit better. You have one heck of an amp as it is! . . . Hans Wetzel