Most-Read Feedback Articles (Last 365 Days)
- 2017-07-01 - The Luxman's League
- 2018-01-04 - Legacy Signature SE Up Against the Magico A3
- 2017-07-30 - PrimaLuna, Devialet, Hegel Music Systems, NAD -- Integrated Amp Shootout
- 2018-01-01 - Naim and Magico
- 2017-06-09 - He Says Ken Is Correct!
- 2017-08-28 - Revel Performa3 F206 vs. KEF R500
- 2017-05-30 - Meitner Upgrade Worth It?
- 2017-08-10 - To Change for the Better
- 2017-09-01 - Buying the Best -- "Hard Knocks" Learning
- 2017-10-02 - "The MQA Balloon"
- Category: Reader Feedback Reader Feedback
- Created: 22 May 2011 22 May 2011
To Doug Schneider,
I am currently looking for an upgrade to either the Simaudio Moon Evolution 600i or 700i, or to the Devialet D-Premier. I read your reviews and both integrated amps seem to be very well commented on. May I know what you would choose if you were me?
This is a great question. The Devialet D-Premier is more expensive than both Simaudio models you mentioned, but it also contains a DAC. If your plan is to use the D-Premier through its digital inputs, which means you’d feed it a digital signal from a computer or disc server, then I’d recommend it, providing you can afford what it costs. I’ve found no integrated amplifier that’s better when fed a digital source. But if you already have another DAC or disc player and wish to use the digital-to-analog converter in one of those devices and feed the analog signal into the D-Premier, then the answer isn’t so clear. In fact, in that case I’d probably lean more to the Simaudio pieces because they’re priced a little cheaper and are also capable of providing outstanding sound quality. . . . Doug Schneider