Most-Read Feedback Articles (Last 365 Days)
- 2018-01-04 - Legacy Signature SE Up Against the Magico A3
- 2018-01-01 - Naim and Magico
- 2018-03-04 - The High-Priced Deception?
- 2017-12-21 - The Validity of Doug's Sonus Faber Olympica III Review
- 2018-03-07 - Did the Buchardt S400s Show?
- 2018-04-26 - Integrated for Dynaudio Contour 30 Speakers
- 2017-11-24 - The Whereabouts of the Yamaha NS-5000 Loudspeaker
- 2017-11-23 - Revel's Salon2 -- Still One of the Best After All These Years?
- 2018-04-15 - Tannoys Tonally Off
- 2018-01-15 - A 24/7 Mohican?
- Category: Reader Feedback Reader Feedback
- Created: 07 June 2012 07 June 2012
To Aron Garrecht,
I enjoyed your review of the Monitor Audio Gold GX300 speakers. I currently have a pair of Axiom M80s. I had a chance to hear them in an audio/video shop and like them, but at $5500 a pair I am wondering how much better they are than the M80s.
Thank you for your feedback. I have not listened to the Axiom M80s for quite some time. In fact, if memory serves, the last version I heard was the M80 v2, so please keep this in mind while reading my response. With that said, what I do remember of the M80s was their clean, neutral midrange, and a genuinely forceful bottom end. Stacking the M80s up against the GX300s, I think you will notice a cleaner midrange, improved imaging, a much more refined top end, and less prominent but more accurate bottom end. Whether these improvements are worth a little over $4000 more, only you can answer. What I can tell you is that the GX300s are benchmark speakers with respect to build quality, and that a large portion of that extra cost is directly due to the cost of materials, both in the drivers and the new cabinets. I would recommend seeing if you can get a dealer to let you take a pair home and listen to them side by side with your M80s. . . . Aron Garrecht